Everyone hopes to contribute something original to their chosen writing niche. For me, on this blog, it’s pretty hard to contribute something original. There are many smart financial bloggers out there.
But I’ve done it at least once; and my most original and important post so far has also been pretty life changing for me. It is an idea I came up with after staying up way too late multiple nights in a row trying to figure out how to “have my cake and eat it too” when it comes to using retirement accounts (IRA’s, 401k’s) to fund early retirement. You may have just yawned when you heard me say retirement accounts, and I admit, it isn’t a very fun topic. But if you realize that optimizing your retirement account strategy can help you retire EARLIER, it becomes a lot more fun.
Shortly after I wrote the post, there was a flurry of activity with podcasters and bloggers contacting me and writing articles about my discovery. Here are some things that happened after I wrote the post:
- A few weeks after I wrote this post, while I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this math, I got a call from a financial podcaster who had millions of listeners. He was pretty adamant that my math was wrong. Then, a few days later, he called me back with great excitement and informed me that he thought my math was RIGHT, and he wanted to discuss my findings on his show immediately, which led to this podcast episode.
- Shortly after that, a very popular blogger wrote a post based mostly on the above podcast episode and my discovery.
- Various forum posts broke out debating my findings (here is one of them, I’m too lazy to find the others).
- Just a few days ago, this financial independence blogger picked up and shared my idea.
- There have been other emails, posts, etc that I’m just too lazy to dig up right now.
Moral of the story: if you haven’t already read my original post, read it. It’s a game changer.